Your personal ethics, how you live your life and demonstrate your positive values and beliefs, such
as honesty and fairness, carry over into your profession as you apply them to your working
environment and relationships. Professional ethics deal with proper conduct in relationships with
your employer, co-workers and clients.
Most professions have associations that establish a "Code of Professional Ethics" for their individual
members. It is important for you to familiarize yourself with the Cosmetology Code of Ethics in your
area. Adherence to a professional code of ethics reflects your personal integrity. These codes are
designed not only to protect the public and guarantee that they will be treated honestly and fairly,
but also to help you build confidence and increase your clientele.
Some of the responsibilities and work ethics that will help you gain respect and build solid professional
relationships with your clients and co-workers are listed on the sample "Professional Code of Ethics."
Commitment to Excellence
Invest in yourself! Learn everything you can in school. Take an active part in school activities. Take
advantage of advanced education and seminars. After graduation, continue to invest in your
education by attending seminars, shows and workshops. Keep pace with what's happening in the
industry. Become known for your willingness to share your knowledge and your enthusiasm for the
beauty industry. There is no limit to the success you can achieve if you are willing to invest the time
and energy success demands of the true professional.
· Show respect for the feelings and rights of others. Remember the Golden Rule.
· Be fair and courteous to your co-workers. Don't attempt to win clients away from your fellow stylists.
· Be fair and courteous to your clients. Be consistent in pricing your services. Don't show favoritism
to certain clients.
· Always be eager to learn new methods and techniques. Attend educational programs that provide
updated information or help you to improve your skills.
· Represent yourself, your services and products honestly to the public. Do not advertise a service
that you cannot perform.
· Set a good example of good conduct and good behavior. Always cherish a good reputation. It will carry
you a long way.
· Be loyal to your employer and co-workers. A successful salon will aid in your success.
· Keep your word and fulfill your obligations. Never break the confidence entrusted to you by a client
· Practice only the highest standards of infection control as provided by your regulating agency laws.
Keep your work area and tools spotlessly clean.
· Believe in and be proud of your profession, just as you believe in yourself!
Professional Code of Ethics