Reimers, David M. Still the Golden Door: The Third World Comes to America. Columbia
University Press, 1985
Santoli, Al New Americans An Oral History: Immigrants and Refugees in the U.S. Today.
Ballantine Books, 1988
Weisberger, Bernard A. Many People, One Nation. Houghton Mifflin, 1987.
contains lessons about refugee issues for all grade levels; go to
Quick Find and click on Teaching Tools.
an online catalogue of teaching resources including global
education, multicultural studies, and the immigrant experience.
web site of the Grantmakers Concerned with
Immigrants and Refugees; contains U.S. immigration statistics by state and county, as well as
other resources on immigration topics.
tables listing immigration figures and links to the U.S. government Yearbooks of Immigration
web site of the Population Reference Bureau, containing lessons and other
resources on population topics, including immigration.
nonprofit, nonpartisan membership organization that conducts
educational "people to people" programs.
on the home page of the Peace Corps site, click on World Wise
Schools. Under "Educators" find lesson plans, service learning ideas, country information and
· Quiz on reasons for immigration and effects of immigration on U.S. economy and society
· Creation of table or graph
· Accuracy in reading and interpreting tabular data
· Completion of country of origin report
· Completion of interview and report on community's immigrants
· Extra credit: Design and completion of service learning project
©2003 MHz NETWORKS