web site of the Center for Applied Linguistics, containing articles and links to
publications on teaching ESOL.
web site of Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages; contains
standards and descriptors, along with scenarios that can be used for additional staff
Igoa, Christina. The Inner World of the Immigrant Child. Lawrence Erlbaum Assoc., 1995.
Olsen, Laurie and Herbert R. Kohl. Made in America: Immigrant Students in Our Public
Schools. New Press, 1997. A study of life in a California high school where 20% of the
students were born in another country.
Budhos, Marina. Remix: Conversations with Immigrant Teens. Henry Holt, 1999.
Greenbery, Judith E. Newcomers to America: Stories of Today's Young Immigrants (In Their Own
Words). Franklin Watts, 1996.
· Participation in class discussions, commensurate with English skills
· journal writing regularity; incorporating new vocabulary
· Completion of essay "Living in the USA"
· Participation in planning and implementing cultural display activity
· Completion of biographical sketch of prominent immigrant
· Completion of family history project
©2003 MHz NETWORKS