Acceptance to the Primary Level Course
Violin, Viola, Cello, Piano, Flute & Guitar
Entrance to the course is through audition/interview (approx. 20-30 minutes).
Applicants must demonstrate a high level of musicianship and technical proficiency
(repertoire to be at a minimum standard of AMEB 7th Grade).
Cello, Flute, Guitar Any two contrasting works
Piano - One movement from a classical sonata plus one other work
Violin Bach A minor Concerto (complete)
Applicants are expected to demonstrate some understanding of and empathy with
the Suzuki philosophy along with knowledge of the content and level of commitment
sufficient to complete the course successfully.
There are special requirements for acceptance for Voice. Please contact Katrina
Pezzimenti for precise details.
1. Philosophy: Lectures and discussions on Suzuki philosophy with reference to other
early childhood music education.
2. Early Childhood Development: Methods of teaching the very young child. The
vital first lessons and careful step-by-step preparation. Parent pre-training.
3. Repertoire: Study of the primary level repertoire through:
a) Trainee performance
b) Student performance
c) Discussion of teaching points
d) Demonstration lessons
4. Technique: Thorough discussion and practice of basic techniques applicable to
the instrument studied with emphasis on such things as the production of tone,
posture, bow hold, articulation, breathing and embouchure.
5. Musicianship: Phrasing, dynamics, style, interpretation, rhythm.
6. Parent Preparation: Introductory techniques and materials to have available for
7. Methodology: Additional practical aspects of the method including:
· Lesson structure
· One-point focus
· Listening skills
· Music reading skills
· Group sessions
Playing from memory · Care of instrument
· Ideas for effective
· Developing independent
· Business aspects of
running a studio